I've been wanting to contribute to some FOSS projects for quite some time now but never got around to doing it. I was looking to write a webservice today that would allow a C# application I had to request domain information from my webservice which uses the namecheap.com API.
I noticed a ruby library on github that allowed for the checking of domain availability and which looked like a good platform to start building my codebase on so I forked it and began adding functionality to it. A few hours later I setup git and pushed my first changes to my forked repo. Man it felt good!
Hopefully someone finds the additional Namecheap.com API calls that I'm implementing to be useful. You can find my fork of the namecheap library here.