16 July 2012

Super affordable standing workstation built from IKEA parts - less than $50

I've been reading a lot about the health and productivity benefits of working at a standing desk for months now and today finally decided to head down to IKEA and grab the parts to build one. The inspiration came from an article about how to build a $22 IKEA standing desk. This seemed the most sensible way to go about getting what I wanted.



From IKEA
  • (2) Lack side tables - $19.98
  • (1) Ekby Viktor 11" shelf - $5.99
  • (2) Ekby Valter shelf brackets - $8

From Home Depot
  • (4) 5/16" x 3" hex bolts - $1.24
  • (8) 1/4" washers - $0.88
  • (4) 1/4" hex nuts - $0.24

The only difference from the article I read was that I used the bolts to attach the brackets since the table legs are hollow and I didn't attach the shelf to the brackets. Total was a touch over $60 with tax and gas to get there and back ($40 if you live close to an IKEA). I love this setup and the only thing I'm gonna change is to drop the bracket down about an inch and a half somehow to get the keyboard surface at a more comfortable level. I also found that I needed to put something about 1/4" thick under my keyboard to get it to be comfortable to type on; having the keyboard at an angle was hard on my wrists.

3 comments:

  1. Home made computer desk workstations are actually proven to make it easier to concentrate on what you are doing on your PC. A bonus about making your own one too is that you can customize it to be comfortable and suitable to whatever you desire. Also, you will save a lot of money taking the time to make one yourself than buying one in a box from a shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Realy Awesome Post Ever Thanks For Sharing I Am Going To Bookmark Your Site & Share With My Friends On Facebook And Twitter Thanks Again...:- Skype support

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely it is....You made me obsessed with your invention my dear. So creative (Y).Personally, I am so lazy to do such a task in my daily routine because of hectic job schedules over the week and on weekends my life is nothing but just a snail's pace. Can you please design a Stand up desk for me with this look? I shall be very thankful to you

    ReplyDelete